• Welcome to TUKE FĂ“RUM - FĂłrum pre študentov Technickej Univerzity v Košiciach.

Some questions about erasmus !

Started by Tib, 07.10.2011, 05:18:38

« predchádzajúce - ďaląie »

Tib

Hi,

I'm a french student and I've just been selected to pass the next semester in your university ! So I'll be an Erasmus student and I have some papers to full and some questions to ask !

I've seen that the academic calendar for summer semester say that the semester begin February 13, 2012 and that the exams finish July 6, 2012.
Are this dates right or is the reality different ? Notably for the end of the semester, aren't we in holidays earlier sometimes ? I ask this to book my plane tickets ...
I'll wish to come before the beginning of the semester, do you know if erasmus accomodations are opened around of February 10, 2012 ?

About lessons, do you know if some of them are taught in english ? Moreover I've to choose my instructions now but it seems very fuzzy here in France ... Have you some advices ?! I'm in my second study year, and I'll begin next year mechanical engineering.

To finish I'd like to know the average budget for a month !

Thank you for you answers and sorry for my approximate english ! I hope to improve it the next semester !

ZuzkaGaRR

Quote from: Tib on  07.10.2011, 05:18:38
Hi,

I'm a french student and I've just been selected to pass the next semester in your university ! So I'll be an Erasmus student and I have some papers to full and some questions to ask !

I've seen that the academic calendar for summer semester say that the semester begin February 13, 2012 and that the exams finish July 6, 2012.
Are this dates right or is the reality different ? Notably for the end of the semester, aren't we in holidays earlier sometimes ? I ask this to book my plane tickets ...
I'll wish to come before the beginning of the semester, do you know if erasmus accomodations are opened around of February 10, 2012 ?

About lessons, do you know if some of them are taught in english ? Moreover I've to choose my instructions now but it seems very fuzzy here in France ... Have you some advices ?! I'm in my second study year, and I'll begin next year mechanical engineering.

To finish I'd like to know the average budget for a month !

Thank you for you answers and sorry for my approximate english ! I hope to improve it the next semester !

Hi Tib,

the summer term really begins on the 13th of February and it should be finished in 14 weeks, than the exam period starts, so it is up to you when your term finishes, I mean, it finishes as soon as your exam are passed. If you could manage to pass your exams in let say 4 weeks, than you are free to fly back home. The date July the 6th is just the final date for passing exams.

I have no idea about erasmus accommodation, so you should better ask any contact person, the same thing with subjects taught in English.

No worries about your English, it´s much better than the one of an average student  :), and, by the way, Les francaises n´aime pas parler anglais, n´est-ce pas?  ;)

Agamemnon

well, some courses are taught in english, but i have no idea how many and what is the level of english in these courses... based on my experience, it varies a lot - too much, i would say... and i think some courses are only in slovak - perhaps for erasmus english versions will be added...

your english is good, you can be easily understood, and thats what really matter... :)
All code is crap.

Tib

Thanks for this informations !

I don't speak a single word of slovak, I don't even know how to say hello or goodbye !  That's why I hope some lessons are in english ... But I'll really apreciate to take some slovak lessons! It sounds like a new culture for me !

I've not really understood how does it works for the exams. Can you pass it when you want ? Or is it the same date for everybody ? In the first case is it possible to finish you exam period  in two weeks or less ?

Another question about something totally different, I'm totally addict to the mountain, I go skiing often in winter, and in summer I go hiking in the mountains. I've seen that in Slovakia there is some mountains, what's about Kosice ? Where is the nearest ski station ? Is there some winter sports associations in TUKE ?

QuoteNo worries about your English, it´s much better than the one of an average student  :), and, by the way, Les francaises n´aime pas parler anglais, n´est-ce pas?  ;)

We like to speak english ! It's like an international language. But our accent is like horrible   ;)

Agamemnon

generally, for every course you can choose from several dates - this means that if you manage to pass your exams in two weeks (and if dates for the courses are as such) then you can finish your exams in 2 weeks and then have holidays...

well... mountains... hmm... there are some around kosice... kosice lies in a valley so basically in every direction there are some hills (nothing really high)... and you can find some two or three ski centres in about 20km or so from kosice... it takes about 2 hours (maybe a little less) by train to get to high tatras (more hiking, less skiing) and perhaps the same time (really not sure) to get to low tatras (much more skiing opportunities)...
about winter sports in TUKE i have no idea...

btw, if i may ask... why have you chosen slovakia/tuke? :)
All code is crap.

Tib

Quotebtw, if i may ask... why have you chosen slovakia/tuke? :)

I wanted to leave in a country where I'll have to speak english ! I'll have wished an english country, but there weren't any places this semester in my university. In Slovakia, courses are in english for erasmus student and the main language to communiquate between foreign students is english.
Moreover it's too a part of the Europe I don't know, I'm very curious to discover new culture !
That's why I've finally chosen Slovakia !

Thanks for your answers !

ZuzkaGaRR

Quote from: Tib on  07.10.2011, 06:47:46
Thanks for this informations !

I don't speak a single word of slovak, I don't even know how to say hello or goodbye !  That's why I hope some lessons are in english ... But I'll really apreciate to take some slovak lessons! It sounds like a new culture for me !

I've not really understood how does it works for the exams. Can you pass it when you want ? Or is it the same date for everybody ? In the first case is it possible to finish you exam period  in two weeks or less ?

Another question about something totally different, I'm totally addict to the mountain, I go skiing often in winter, and in summer I go hiking in the mountains. I've seen that in Slovakia there is some mountains, what's about Kosice ? Where is the nearest ski station ? Is there some winter sports associations in TUKE ?

QuoteNo worries about your English, it´s much better than the one of an average student  :), and, by the way, Les francaises n´aime pas parler anglais, n´est-ce pas?  ;)

We like to speak english ! It's like an international language. But our accent is like horrible   ;)

Cool, just come and speak and speak, that´s great opportunity, and, if you don´t mind, I keep looking for opportunities to improve my french, c´est pas bien maintenant, mais je cherche les gens qui parlent francais..... :) So what about having le fete internationale, where we both could practice? Just an idea  ;)

t0Mi

Tib

QuoteCool, just come and speak and speak, that´s great opportunity, and, if you don´t mind, I keep looking for opportunities to improve my french, c´est pas bien maintenant, mais je cherche les gens qui parlent francais..... :) So what about having le fete internationale, where we both could practice? Just an idea  ;)

What's "la fete internationale", it sounds for me like in english "international party". Is it an event in Kosice ?! Or does it mean something else ?
Anyway no problem to speak french with you, it'll be very fun to hear Slovaks speak french ^^.

QuoteQuote from: Tib on  07.10.2011, 06:40:07

rofl :D

It's serious ! I'm looking forward to live this new experience !

radix

hey Tib, u are here only one day and u have a chance to speak french with zuzka..   :thumbs-up: :emot-drunk:

t0Mi

Quote from: Tib on  07.10.2011, 20:45:31
QuoteQuote from: Tib on  07.10.2011, 06:40:07

rofl :D

It's serious ! I'm looking forward to live this new experience !

You'll understand after you're done with the trip ;D

Tib

QuoteYou'll understand after you're done with the trip ;D

You're very motivating !

All feedback from students of my university are good ! They have really enjoyed their semester in Slovakia :)

Quotehey Tib, u are here only one day and u have a chance to speak french with zuzka..   :thumbs-up: :emot-drunk:

French seduction ! Don't be jealous :p

ZuzkaGaRR

Quote from: Tib on  08.10.2011, 03:02:09

You're very motivating !

All feedback from students of my university are good ! They have really enjoyed their semester in Slovakia :)

Quotehey Tib, u are here only one day and u have a chance to speak french with zuzka..   :thumbs-up: :emot-drunk:

Guys, hey, no one is jealous, i can speak french to radix as well ;)

Agamemnon

Quote from: Tib on  08.10.2011, 03:02:09

You're very motivating !

in a way, it is a general consensus in slovakia, that it is terrible here :) and of course the general consensus of students at TUKE is, that it is terrible uni :D well, basically, nothing is good enough :D and everything is terrible :D
All code is crap.

v_oid

Dear Tib, let me explain the situation here.

You see, most of users on this discussion board are guys. So anytime there's a new girl around, everybody tries to hit on her.

And now you came and she wants to have a fete international (whatever the heck that is) with you!

Well played, sir.

ZuzkaGaRR

Quote from: v_oid on  08.10.2011, 04:07:44
Dear Tib, let me explain the situation here.

You see, most of users on this discussion board are guys. So anytime there's a new girl around, everybody tries to hit on her.

And now you came and she wants to have a fete international (whatever the heck that is) with you!

Well played, sir.

Let me mention that it is not written anywhere that Tib is a man. For the reason to practise my french I don´t mind to speak to any person who speaks french. And FETE should be a french word standing for a celebration or a party, so come on, nothing private or secret. Am I right, Tib?

domino3d

vivat academicus

Tib

Quotein a way, it is a general consensus in slovakia, that it is terrible here :) and of course the general consensus of students at TUKE is, that it is terrible uni :D well, basically, nothing is good enough :D and everything is terrible :D

You give credit to all prejudices we can hear about eastern countries in France ! I don't think that your day life is very different of ours in France ^^

And if people are nice, enjoy communicates, drinking some beers and having fun it's all good for me !

hey Tib, u are here only one day and u have a chance to speak french with zuzka..   :thumbs-up: :emot-drunk:

Guys, hey, no one is jealous, i can speak french to radix as well ;)

It was a  joke ^^

QuoteLet me mention that it is not written anywhere that Tib is a man. For the reason to practise my french I don´t mind to speak to any person who speaks french. And FETE should be a french word standing for a celebration or a party, so come on, nothing private or secret. Am I right, Tib?

Yes "une fête" is the french for a party ! But between students we use rather the word "soirée". So I'll be pleased to help you to improve your french ! I've heard some slovak speech, it sounds really weird for my ears ^^

And to finish I'm a man, Tib is a male nickname for some first names in French !

ZuzkaGaRR

Hopefully we all are having fun :D
What about speaking only french  :zuzka: to everybody from now on...?

Who names those emot-icons? Especially a heart??  :zuzka:

Tib

In french a heart is "un cœur", but it's very hard to explain the sound "œur", I don't know if it exists in slovak.
We can assimilate this sound with "or" in the english word "doctor". The "c" adjudicates like the "k" of "kitchen" in english.

Maybe the english pronounciation looks like a little at  "kor", but it's not really the real sound !

ZuzkaGaRR

Quote from: Tib on  08.10.2011, 04:55:10
In french a heart is "un cœur", but it's very hard to explain the sound "œur", I don't know if it exists in slovak.
We can assimilate this sound with "or" in the english word "doctor". The "c" adjudicates like the "k" of "kitchen" in english.

Maybe the english pronounciation looks like a little at  "kor", but it's not really the real sound !

Est-ce que le mot coeur somble comme le mot "encore" sans "en"?

Brand

This topic went a little bit "off topic" as usually :)

QuoteTo finish I'd like to know the average budget for a month !

For example:

Accommodation: if you are going to live in student residence: 46 Euro / month
Public transport: the best solution is to buy unlimited ticket (chip card needed) which lasts for a month: 9 Euro 
Food: price for lunch (soup + main food + beverage) starts with approx. 3 Euro
Beer: starts with 0.80 Euro / 0.5 litre
Pizza: starts with 3.50 Euro (average 5 Euro).

IMHO: Everyone has different needs. Maybe you will be surprised but you can live here as student for less than 200 Euro / month (with having fun :) ). If you want travel I guess 400 Euro should be enough.

Tib

QuoteFor example:

Accommodation: if you are going to live in student residence: 46 Euro / month
Public transport: the best solution is to buy unlimited ticket (chip card needed) which lasts for a month: 9 Euro
Food: price for lunch (soup + main food + beverage) starts with approx. 3 Euro
Beer: starts with 0.80 Euro / 0.5 litre
Pizza: starts with 3.50 Euro (average 5 Euro).

IMHO: Everyone has different needs. Maybe you will be surprised but you can live here as student for less than 200 Euro / month (with having fun :) ). If you want travel I guess 400 Euro should be enough.

Thanks a lot, it helps me to imagine how many money I have to provide. The cost of the life is very low compared to the France, it's a good news for me :D. In France with 400 Euro I can just pay my accomodation ...

QuoteEst-ce que le mot coeur somble comme le mot "encore" sans "en"?

Not exactly, but it's hard to write a pronounciation ^^
You can hear the real sound a lot of times on this music clip for the example, Tais-toi Mon Coeur - Dionysos feat. Olivia Ruiz

t0Mi

Taxi: 3€
Vodka: 1.5€
Stripper: 65€

But if you're a chick you can get a random student naked for far less...